Can acute bronchitis pose a life long risk?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Aug 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have acute bronchitis that my urgent care clinic doc is treating with antibiotic, cough medicine and an inhaler. That started yesterday, I feel better today, but I'm still coughing, still ache, still feel wiped out. I want to return to work tomorrow. A friend told me that failure to recover fully from acute bronchitis can lead to lifelong vulnerability. True? I'm the boss at work and hate/hate/hate being absent.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no, it is not true

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HealthcareMagic,

Yes, I can understand your concern.

No, it's not true that acute bronchitis leaves a chronic weakness. Its mostly a bacterial infection and It is just the second day of the treatment. You should be a little patient. Usually, the improvement is seen after 48-72 hours.

So, I'd recommend you to have a rest and to continue the current treatment as per your treating doctor's advice.

Hope to have been helpful.

Regards and feel free to ask me again.

Dr.Jolanda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee