Can acute appendicitis cause fatigue, low BP, stomach issues and abdominal pain?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: xxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxx!

Thank you for a fantastic site!

I need something to give to my doctor. That is a doctor saying that chronic apendicitis is a real thing.
I have several people I know that has been sick for years, with fatigue, low bloodpressure, general sickness, and stomach trouble.
I had acute apendicitis three years ago, and they did NOT operate it out. Because the fear of my heart related issues, the did antibiotics.

I am still having pains in the right lower quadrant, and general trouble with stomach, and no stamina etc etc etc.

I feel its because of my apendix and it beeing low graded ionflamed.
However I need a doctor to say that it is a real thing and perhaps symptoms.

I even had trouble with pain and detraction of right testicle which I read was a symptom.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thre are ways to come to a diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your wishes and wish you the same, Merry Christmas.
Noted your detailed history and understood your concerns.
I can understand your view very well.
With the newer advanced techniques in medical field the diagnosis can be done better as compared to what happened in past.
Appendicitis: inflamed appendix causing low grade symptoms for three months is rare to occur and usually will show some exacerbation at some or the other times.
Secondly, it is important to note that appendix is a part of the colon hence anything that gives colitis or typhilitis too can show symptoms of or akin appendicitis,. Hence it is important to go for the investigations that can tell us for sure whether there is appendicitis or not.
This can be achieved by the following ways:
Barium enema or a follow through in olden days was one investigations that could tell about the possibility.
CT scan and high resolution ultrasonography can show definitely about the possibility.
Diagnostic Laparoscopy and appendectomy if there are signs of appendicitis in past or presently provided your Surgeon and/or Anesthetist see it worth a risk taking.
Colonoscopy and biopsy: can tell about colitis, typhlitis (secal involvement only).
These problems as mentioned above can also cause the same symptoms as you have mentioned.
These will per se are not related to testicular problem which you mentioned : please give details.

You can discuss all these points with your Doctor to come to a possible diagnosis by ruling out or by confirming and go ahead with further management as needed.

I hope this answers your query.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Please give feedback and details about heart and testicle problems.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 50 minutes later
Hello again :)

Yes, it is after i had the acute form of apendicitis I have gotten the problems with pain in right lower quadrant, slight low grade fever same time as it flares up, and I had it for three YEARS, not months :)

Here is what I found online about testicles:

Identification of chronic inflammation of the appendix in men has certain characteristics, namely:

, when probing the abdominal cavity, the right testicle spontaneously pulls up;
painful sensations in the region of the right testicle with easy sipping of the scrotum

Also. Lap-operations are the thing I am scared of because of the risk involved with sedetives when I do have many other issues with bloodpressure, arrythmia etc.

But there is definately a thing called chronic appendicitis is what I wonder.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get investigated

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
It is good that you have searched online but the ultimate diagnosis is by the clinical examination and investigations as mentioned above.
Please get these done to know the exact problem.
Medical/surgical management is evidence based hence get the correct diagnosis asap.
Why wait for the complications.
The changes about scrotum and testicles are a reflex mechanism.

I hope this answer helps you to find the exact cause asap so that an appropriate management can be done.