Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Can acid reflux cause inflamed esophagus?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2220 Questions
Can a gastro doc help me about a Upper Endoscopy.
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please provide your specific query...

Detailed Answer:

Yes, please provide your upper endoscopy report, so I can give you a second opinion!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Can acid reflux cause inflamed esophagus? 22 hours later
I had a endoscopy last year and it was normal but they had found a hital hernia.

I have been good since then but been battling some acid reflux for 2 weeks now. Sour taste in the back of my throat etc. Does this take some time to get rid of? Could the acid cause my espophegus to be inflamed? Would you worry if I had a normal upper gi last year?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 3 days later
Brief Answer:
If previous endoscopy ok,nothing to be worried abo

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for following up.

When having acid reflux problems, usually, they will subside within the first week of starting medications and diet changes.

During acid reflux, stomach liquid is turning back to the esophagus due to problems with closing of esophageal-gastric sphincter. The stomach liquid has a low pH, thus, causing your esophagus being inflamed.

If your upper endoscopy of the last year was normal, nothing worrisome although you are experiencing fastidious symptoms. You should continue taking medications on regular basis and to follow the healthy lifestyle and diet changes.

All the best!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor