Can acid reflux cause inflamed esophagus?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Can a gastro doc help me about a Upper Endoscopy.
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please provide your specific query...

Detailed Answer:

Yes, please provide your upper endoscopy report, so I can give you a second opinion!

Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: Can acid reflux cause inflamed esophagus? 22 hours later
I had a endoscopy last year and it was normal but they had found a hital hernia.

I have been good since then but been battling some acid reflux for 2 weeks now. Sour taste in the back of my throat etc. Does this take some time to get rid of? Could the acid cause my espophegus to be inflamed? Would you worry if I had a normal upper gi last year?

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 3 days later
Brief Answer:
If previous endoscopy ok,nothing to be worried abo

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for following up.

When having acid reflux problems, usually, they will subside within the first week of starting medications and diet changes.

During acid reflux, stomach liquid is turning back to the esophagus due to problems with closing of esophageal-gastric sphincter. The stomach liquid has a low pH, thus, causing your esophagus being inflamed.

If your upper endoscopy of the last year was normal, nothing worrisome although you are experiencing fastidious symptoms. You should continue taking medications on regular basis and to follow the healthy lifestyle and diet changes.

All the best!
Dr.Klerida