Can abortion be detected in an ultrasound scan?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Would a doctor know on a ultrasound scan that I had an abortion 2 weeks ago. My boyfriend is taking me to a doctor for a scan to make sure that I am not pregnant. I wasnt pregnant at all. I just said to him that I was pregnant and had an abortion 2 weeks ago. Now he will see there is no baby. But my concern is , will the scan show that I wasnt pregnant and had no abortion.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No. Scan will not show that you had abortion

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.
No. The scan only will show that uterus is empty i.e. you are not pregnant.
With early pregnancy abortions the uterus normally reverts back to non pregnant state within two weeks . So nobody can say that you were lying.
I hope this helps.
If you have further concerns, I will be happy to answer.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN