Can abnormal potassium levels cause salty taste in the mouth and high BP?

Cardiologist
Question
Can potassium play a part in very salty taste, mostly lips, and also high blood pressure?
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that potassium supplements are helpful in lowering blood pressure values.

Abnormal potassium levels, could be related to changes in taste, but not a specific salty taste.

Anyway, considering your symptoms (salty taste and uncontrolled high blood pressure), I would recommend consulting with your attending physician and performing some tests:

- complete blood count
- blood electrolytes
- thyroid hormone levels
- kidney and liver function tests
- complete blood count for anemia
- fasting glucose
- PCR, ESR for inflammation
- iron plasma levels.

Starting anti-hypertensive therapy may be needed in case of high blood pressure (values above 140/90 mm Hg).

Some natural tips to help maintain normal blood pressure values naturally would be:

- reduce maximally salt and caffeine intake
- perform regularly physical activity (walking, aerobics, etc.)
- try to lose some weight if you are overweight.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: Can abnormal potassium levels cause salty taste in the mouth and high BP? 20 minutes later
I went to my doctor yesterday and he ordered all blood work-up. My BP was 160/82 highly unusual for me since it's mostly normal or high/normal. Since I probably won't hear back until after Thanksgiving I thought I would get your opinion. My symptoms are weakness, fatigue, off-balance, light-headed, muscle tenderness in legs. Do you have to take a lot of ibuprofen to develop a saltiness in your mouth?

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Yes, regular intake of ibuprofen for a long time can lead to taste disturbances as well as uncontrolled high blood pressure.

Anyway, considering your symptoms, besides the above mentioned tests, I would also recommend checking vitamin D and vitamin B12 plasma levels to exclude possible deficiencies, which may trigger such clinical scenario.

A cardiac ultrasound is also necessary to examine your heart function and structure.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri