Can abnormal functioning of liver as indicated in the test be reversed by quitting Alcohol?
not very high
if the only abnormal tests were your ALT and AST (60/44) then you should be all right if you quit drinking. Irreversible liver damage may occur from protracted alcohol abuse but it usually requires many more than 2-3 years, more tests are expected to be out of range and symptoms should start to become evident. There are many symptoms related to liver dysfunction including loss of male hair, increased breast mass, white nail base, swollen legs, accumulation of fluid inside the abdominal cavity, yellow discoloration of the sclerae (white part of the eye), etc. Various tests may be abnormal like the INR, ALP, albumin, etc. Liver imaging tests may show signs of disordered liver anatomy (cirrhosis) or fibrosis (there is a scan to assess fibrosis).
In cases with biochemical findings alone, we usually repeat the tests a few weeks later (8 weeks sounds OK) to see how it goes. Testing for various types of hepatitis would go amiss also. Antinuclear antibodies and antibodies against infectious hepatitides can be ordered as well.
Quitting drinking usually makes the abnormal values return to normality.
I hope it helps!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Alcoholic overweight alcoholic hepatitis liver function tests
- Liver function test alcohol
- Tonsillectomy and abnormal liver function test
- Enlarged liver with normal liver function test
- Costochondritis and abnormal liver function tests
- Liver function test abnormal fatigue joint pain
- What does my liver function test indicate
- Abnormal liver function test with gallstones
- Abnormal liver function tests in australia
- Liver function test showed high values should i quit alcohol