Can a wrist pop cause wrist swelling, finger numbness and bulging veins?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My friend was golfing- heard his wrist pop (had hit the ground with a club earlier- hard). Now has wrist pain that increases with movement, reduced wrist mobility, hand and wrist swelling, finger numbness and veins bulging in his hand and wrist... the swelling and veins bulging seem to reduce when he holds his arm up in the air. But he is in pain still

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Wrist fracture likely.

Detailed Answer:
The symptoms are suggestive of a fractured wrist. He needs an X-ray for proper diagnosis and the wrist needs to be immobilised with a cast. Do consult an orthopedician for the same.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 32 minutes later
thank you... with a broken wrist, would the swelling decrease when he raises his arm? I just want to be sure he does not want to go to the DR so I have to convince him.
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
In a broken wrist the swelling can decrease on raising the arm. Numbness is worrisome as there can be a nerve compression also.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.