Can a tiny white spot behind the tonsil indicate a strep throat?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Thu, 20 Sep 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a tiny white spot behind my tonsil (embeded in that flap of skin). It almost looks like the skin is bleached in that one spot. I have no sore throat, though I have a bit of a dry throat from the dry weather. No fever as far as I know. Does this sound like the start of strep?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A white spot behind tonsil.

Detailed Answer:

A single white spot behind or upon the tonsil doesn't indicate strep throat.
It can be a canker sore if painful. It can be due to a viral or allergic cause. If there is no sore throat, fever or pain while swallowing then it's unlikely to be a bacterial infection requiring antibiotics.

Tonsilloliths or tonsil stones calcifications can also present as such that form in the crypts of tonsils. They need to be visualized to assess accordingly. For the time being saline gargles should be resorted to for symptomatic relief.

I hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil,