Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Can a thrombosed external haemorrhoid be treated non-surgically?

Feb 2018
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 16136 Questions
Hi Dr,

Earlier I had Haemarrodectomy four years back. Now recently, I had a external problem couple weeks back after a long drive in car and constipation. Visited Gastro given Suth, and anoblis but no improvement and after that dr given antibiotic and referred surgeon. Surgeon told its thrombosed external haemorrhoid and asked to use glycerine and Magnesium sulphate for a week. If not shrink he may do surgery. Is there any alternate methods rather surgery. Will it shrink with medicines. Because i had already one surgery and now again means worried.
3 days ago in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Let the treatment continue - wait and watch policy.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.
Noted the history and understood the concerns.
Thrombosed external hemorrhoids 4 years after primary hemorrhoidectomy indicate that the secondary hemorrhoids which can not be treated in the first surgery got enlarged and thus prolapsed and thrombosed.
The Surgeon has given you the correct treatment.
Prolapsed thrombosed hemorrhoids get smaller and shrunken over time as the body also takes care of these and may not trouble you later although a smaller lumps may be palpable.
There is no specific medicine for such hemorrhoids that they can disappear.
Hence wait and watch is the first option.
Also take Sitz bath in tube with warm water.
Keep the stools soft.
If possible take rest as it helps in resolution.
Let us wait , get treated and watch and see the result to decide the further course.
You may post the clear and focused photos of the hemorrhoids if possible.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor