Can a thrombosed external haemorrhoid be treated non-surgically?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 16 Jun 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Dr,

Earlier I had Haemarrodectomy four years back. Now recently, I had a external problem couple weeks back after a long drive in car and constipation. Visited Gastro given Suth, and anoblis but no improvement and after that dr given antibiotic and referred surgeon. Surgeon told its thrombosed external haemorrhoid and asked to use glycerine and Magnesium sulphate for a week. If not shrink he may do surgery. Is there any alternate methods rather surgery. Will it shrink with medicines. Because i had already one surgery and now again means worried.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Let the treatment continue - wait and watch policy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood the concerns.
Thrombosed external hemorrhoids 4 years after primary hemorrhoidectomy indicate that the secondary hemorrhoids which can not be treated in the first surgery got enlarged and thus prolapsed and thrombosed.
The Surgeon has given you the correct treatment.
Prolapsed thrombosed hemorrhoids get smaller and shrunken over time as the body also takes care of these and may not trouble you later although a smaller lumps may be palpable.
There is no specific medicine for such hemorrhoids that they can disappear.
Hence wait and watch is the first option.
Also take Sitz bath in tube with warm water.
Keep the stools soft.
If possible take rest as it helps in resolution.
Let us wait , get treated and watch and see the result to decide the further course.
You may post the clear and focused photos of the hemorrhoids if possible.