Can a three month infant be given formula milk?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hello doc,
My baby is 3 months old. I have been breast feeding my baby till now. I have to join office soon, so I am thinking to give formula to my baby atleast once a day (my mother will be at home) when i wont be able to come in between office time for breast feeding. My office is near to my home. I had Csection, doctor gave me farex when in hospital. I have heard a lot about Nan pro being lighter than Farex. Please suggest which formula would be better farex or nan pro. I would give in worse case if i am not able to come home in between office time.

Thanks. Waiting for your valuable feedback
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
BETTER TO PUMP, ELSE NAN PRO 1

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Actually at 3 months of age, your baby is too young to be given formula.
Exclusive breastfeeding is most recommended.
It is much better to pump and express milk when you leave for work, so that it can be given to your baby by your mother at home.
Also, you can pump at work and arrange for it to be transported home.
That is a much better option while you work.
I am attaching a link here which will give you all information regarding pumping and storing breast milk -
http://www.womenshealth.gov/breastfeeding/pumping-and-milk-storage/
In case, for some reason it does not work out, Nan Pro is the preferred formula for starting off ( Nan Pro 1 ).
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.
Hope this answer helped to address your doubts.