Can a surgery be done for foot drop?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: I would like to know if a surgery can be done for foot drop?? How do u know if a nerve is damage scatic nerve to be exact ?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 minutes later
Hello there foot drop surgeries deped on the cause( dorsiflexor injuries, peripheral nerve injuries, stroke, neuropathies, drug toxicities, or diabetes.). SO decompression surgeries are done but mostly neurotonics and pain killers reverse the condition unless nerve damage is permanent. Sciatic nerve damage has posterior thigh from hip to knee and all down the knee both posterior and anterior Khan
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
Can a foot drop be permenant ??
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Surgery may be possible in some cases. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. The cause of foot drop should be identified first. This can be done by doing a nerve conduction studies. In foot drop, usually the peroneal nerve (common perineal or deep perineal nerve) are affected. In some cases, the sciatic nerve located at the back of thigh may also be affected to give rise to foot drop. This can also be diagnosed by doing a nerve conduction studies (NCV/EMG studies). Initial treatment consists of physiotherapy, ankle food orthosis (splint) and vitamins. If there is no recovery after three months, then surgery is considered, which may include nerve or tendon transfer. In most cases, recovery takes place. However, in some cases, the foot drop may be permanent. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad