Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

186 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Can a stye be treated with antibiotics?

Answered by
Dr. Eni

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2015

Answered : 319 Questions

Posted on Fri, 13 Jul 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: XXXXXXX is my son, lives in NY city and had a stye in his eye about 9 days ago. He went to urgent care and got erythromycin ointment. since then it spread to the other eye. he says that it seems to be under his eyelids as opposed to on the lid rim. his eyes are swollen and he says as of this morning, it does not seem to be getting any better. He wants to go back to urgent care but I told him to see an eye dr. or go to the ER. He has no insurance so he won't go to the ER. What could it be? wouldn't a stye have healed by now? do you think he needs an oral antibiotic?
Answered by Dr. Eni 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Contagious from one eye to another. Oral antibiotics not recommended.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,
Thank You for posting on HealthcareMagic.

A stye is an infection caused by bacteria. The reason why it passed from an eye to another is done from the pillow or the towel.

Normally the stye will heal after some time, it is true.

It is highly recommended to keep the eye closed, and put warm water compresses. He needs to keep these compresses above closed eyelids for 10 minutes and to repeat this for 4-5 times a day. The warm water compresses will relieve the pain and bring the stye to a head like a pimple that will normally self-drain.

Do Not squeeze or pop a stye, this will spread the infection. Taking care of the hygiene and of a good diet, it is highly recommended.

I would not suggest oral antibiotics. The warm compresses and ibuprofen for the pain are the recommended therapy.

If it doesn't resolve in 15-20 days, he has to check with an oculist for a intervention or drainage.

If you have other questions, please feel free to post them.

Dr. Eni
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on