Can a small tumor on pituitary cause loss of taste and smell?

Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Can a small tumor on Pituitary cause one to lose their sense of taste and smell?

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/AskDoctorInboxServlet?page=viewQuery&queryId=118319
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can if its a malignant tumor

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Good to hear from you again.

Benign small pituitary tumors can cause partial or complete loss of vision and headaches, but not loss of taste and smell.

For the loss of smell, the tumor has to be either large, or malignant to involve the area of smell.

Please upload the MRI or CT report so that i can go through it and tell you better.

Dr. Ashish Verma

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad