Can a sinus infection cause your face to swell?

Question
sunday night 1 of my sinuses were clogged up. i woke up in the middle of the night and it seemed to drain into my gums. i have a big absess and the whole half side of my face is swollen. Can sinuses do that, and why? I think this is the 2 or 3 time this has happened to me.I was told mant years ago i have a deviated septum on that side.
Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Maxillary sinusitis can cause swelling middle part of face

Detailed Answer:

Sinuses are air pockets inside the skull walled by bones. They have mucus lining which will secrete mucus inside the sinus. THey actually help to protect from organisms and infections. During this defence mechanism more mucus is secreted thus piling up in the small air pockets. The hole of the sinus would be clogged due to piling up and reduces drainage leading to swelling, pain and mucus discharge.
Since they are close proximity to oral cavity they can turn into abscess and drain.
Deviated nasal septum aggravates sinusitis.
I suggested you to get these sinuses drained quickly and that is the only solution to reduce the swelling. Always the treatment of abscess is drainage. An ENT surgeon is the only right specialist.