Can a recurrent ganglion cyst be treated by smacking it with a magazine?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on 4 days ago in Lump
Question: Many years ago I had a ganglion cyst. My doctor told me about the Bible treatment but said if I did not bother me I could just leave it alone. One night my husband rolled up a magazine and grabbed my husband grabbed my hand and smacked the cyst with the magazine. It went down right away. Many years later I have developed another cyst on top of the same wrist. Could we safely do that again?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:

You can try that again.

Detailed Answer:

It is just a chance that the cyst has reduced on hitting with a magazine. These cysts are often recurrent in nature. You can try that again and see if it works for you. Otherwise you can consult an orthopedician and get a local steroid shot in the area to reduce it.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon