question-icon

Can a purple colored lesson my face which leaked blood and fluid be a simple pimple?

Posted on Wed, 17 Feb 2021
Question: I have a question about the lesion on my face. I’m guessing it’s a pimple because it appeared suddenly, literally overnight. But it looks different than my normal pimples in that it is more purple in color and bigger. I didn’t pop it but I did touch it and it flattened easily - it leaked some blood and some clear fluid. I’m curious if it’s just a zit. Sorry the pics aren’t very clear. It is still a little elevated but seems redder in color. I don’t think it was there yesterday. My main question is why it would be so purple.
Answered by Dr. Dr. Kakkar (6 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Acne

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the image.
Yes, it seems like an acne lesion. The redness is part of the inflammation and also because some of the epidermis is denuded and it looks raw. Blood might have also leaked into the surrounding tissue making it look even redder.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Dr. Kakkar (14 hours later)
Thank you - whenever I have a pimple that looks different than my normal ones, I always worry about nodular melanoma. But I assume that is not something that just pops up overnight. Other acne spots formed in the same area as well, but this was the only one that was large. However, it is already starting to go away - I assume a melanoma does not appear suddenly and then go away in a day or two?
Answered by Dr. Dr. Kakkar (12 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Not Melanoma

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Yes, a short history of just a day or two is not in favor of nodular melanoma. Moreover, melanoma usually has a darker/pigment component.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist