question-icon

Can a problem with electrolytes cause memory problems?

Posted on Thu, 6 Mar 2014
Question: Can a problem with electrolytes cause memory. I recently had an electrolyte problem. Horrible experience. Now I have some memory problems. Not a lot but I lost my job because of it. I'm do not have Alzheimer's.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (23 minutes later)
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to HCM Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. What exactly electrolyte problem did you have? it may cause various symptoms including memory loss and other neurologig ussues especially if there was potassium imbalance. Electrolyte disbalans lead to changes in tissue fluids and it can cause neurones to become damages. it is called brain oedema which is usually temporary and it will resolve after electrolytes are corrected. Of course, always some other neurologic disorders should be considered such as alzheimers,parkinson or MS. But you just need to be patient,take some B12 supplements or herbal products for memory. I am sure you ll feel better soon. Wish you good health. Regards
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon