Can a pledget used after hernia operation be removed?

Nephrologist
Question
I had a hernia operation in my center just above the belly button and the surgeon used pledgets to close the incision. It has been 3 yrs and a tight ball has formed in that area causing me significant discomfort. Mainly trouble with digestion and breathing. Should I have them removed.
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fibrosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

I understand that you have been operated for umbilical hernia 3 years ago. However to come to a better conclusion I need more info from you

1. Is the tight ball itself tender to touch?
2. Was the ball reducible with pressure?
3. How big is the ball?
4. Please explain in more detail about the symptoms of indigestion and breathing
5. Is the color of the ball the same color as your skin?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Can a pledget used after hernia operation be removed? 9 minutes later
It was an epigastric hernia, and i think i was born with it. i always had a small lump there and it was not diagnosed until i aggravated it doing martial arts.

1-it is not tender to the touch
2-it is very hard and does not reduce in size
3-not big, maybe the size of a large pea
4-the are around the pea sized ball is very tight, it is creating a pressure in a 2-3 in diameter cir. It is a little difficult to describe, the tightness is affecting my quality of life. my body has trouble filling with air and food seems to not pass that area of pressure normally. I developed diverticulitis as a result of the pressure. It sort of feels like someone is twisting the skin where the hard ball is and making my center so blood or energy does not flow properly through that area.
5- it does not affect the skin color.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fibroma

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the reply in detail

From the description you have given me the hard ball sounds like a fibroma, it can sometimes cause issues especially if its sitting on a nerve ending. I advice you to get it surgically removed, it is a small procedure under local anesthetia. A day care procedure in other words.
Watch for the following things

1. Increase in size of the mass
2. Tenderness
3. Change in the color of skin over the skin

I hope I was of help