Can a person with high BP and heart rate take Lexapro?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Sep 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: So Dr prescribed me for lexapro , I'm on metaporol for high blood pressure and irregular heartbeat my heart rate is high , I read up on lexapro it says don't take if you have heart problems , my question is what if I was to take the lexapro and have an undiagnosed heart problem what would happen? I'm afraid of meds and their side effects , but my anxiety and depression is so bad I want to feel better , I don't leave my house much due to gad panic anxiety but I'm afraid of meds .....
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can have it

Detailed Answer:

I think you can have it safely. The only conditions in which it's known to be contraindicated is long qt syndrome, which I guess you are not having. Other cardiac side effects are rare and non life threatening.

Also, it is to be used cautiously if one is having a recent heart attack which again you are not having. So there is no serious cardiac risk associated with it in your.

Dr. Sagar Makode,
Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad