Can a person travel by air post mild concussion?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi Dr! I suffered a mild concussion last Saturday night (1 week ago) and I had an MRI which came back negative. I am still having pressure headaches. I have to fly tomorrow and three other times this coming week. Should I cancel these flights?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can fly.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Since we are sure that it was only concussion, not evident brain injury, this confirmed by MRI also, and one week passed, there's no need for extreme constrictions of everyday activities.

If it is very important, you can fly.

Symptomatic treatment about headaches needed if you will fly ( eg. Ibuprofen 400 mg one hour before flight ).

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later

Thank you very much for your answer!

I also noticed while driving for 15 minutes that I the pressure, in what I believe are my sinuses, started to increase to a point of extreme discomfort(feels like my head is about to explode). I have a prescription for Fluticasone(which I have never used) and an effervescent which has 500mg of paracetamol/200mg Acetylcysteine. Would either of those help with the sinus pressure? Can I take them both? Or should I take something else?

Or is this all related to the concussion?

Your answer and expertise is greatly appreciated! Thank you again :-)
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back and thanks for being on follow up.

Sinus related headaches and post concussion headaches may be difficult to differentiate from each other.

If you experienced and before concussion this type of headaches and you were diagnosed with sinusitis, it is most likely to be related to sinusitis.

If no then post concussion headache is the most likely cause.

Fluticasone and acetylcysteine help in improving symptoms in case of sinus related headaches, but have no effect on other types of headaches.

Paracetamol is fine for both conditions, I prefer an antiinflamatory drug in this case (Ibuprofen eg.).

Hope I helped you.

Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T