Owl Image

Can a person take Rizatripten or Ibuprofen one day after Kava?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2014
Dec 2014

Psychiatrist
Question
Can I take rizatripten or ibuprofen one day after kava?

I tried kava for the first time yesterday. Overall it was a positive experience until 7 hours later I took a little buspar (my regular anxiety medication), and it reacted and it was terrible. Heart was beating like crazy, and I had the sweats bad. I threw the kava away! Kava 7pm, buspar 4am. Today I've had the most intense killer migraine and it's killing me. I'm nauseated. I asked my roommate who's a surgeon's assistant and he said I should wait until tomorrow to take the migraine medicine bc that kava might still be getting cleared out. I really want to take some medication, but in scared of another reaction like last night. What should I do?
Thu, 14 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

Kava is a herbal supplement but increases serotonergic transmission. Triptans should be avoided with Kava. But since you took Kava one day back you can use Rizatriptan. No need to worry. Ibuprofen can be tried first and if you don't get relief then please take Rizatriptan.

Thanks and take care