• question-icon

Can a person have sepsis while treating Lyme disease and mycotoxicosis?

Posted on Sat, 25 Jun 2016 in Infections
Question: I am treating mycotoxicosis and Lyme Disease right now and did more treatment than my body could handle 2 days ago. Exhibiting all of the symptoms of sepsis listed in the following CDC question and answer link, with the exception of the "P" in the SEPSIS acronym. http://www.cdc.gov/sepsis/basic/qa.html

I do not have a fever, I have normal heart rate and not tachycardia, and I do not have increased respiratory rate (though was short of breath), two of which markers would be needed according to the Mayo Clinic for a sepsis diagnosis. Wondering if there is any likelihood of sepsis or toxemia based on my other symptoms...

(With all due respect, I would like someone other than Dr. XXXXXXX Rynne to address my question.)
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suspicion of Sepsis

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

What I understand that presently you have the following symptoms which commensurate with the acronym sepsis such as Shivering, Extreme pain or general discomfort ,Sleepy, " feel like might die"/sense of doom,Shortness of breath.
Well these symptoms are non-specific and do not necessarily indicate sepsis.
Have you undergone any complete blood count as initial investigation? Poly morphonuclear leucocytosis with band forms or toxic granules usually indicate infection vis a vis sepsis.
Do you have any other symptoms which can localize the source of infection,if any?
Normal heart rate,normal respiratory rate are not in favor of sepsis. What is your blood pressure.A person with sepsis is likely to have low BP due to cytokines or inflammatory mediators.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas