Can a peripherally inserted central catheters line cause a stroke?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Stroke
Question: is there a danger of a picc line causing a patient to have a stroke?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 20 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

PICC (peripherally inserted central catheters) are usually inserted from arm vein to superior vena cava, to the right heart. So, as such, there is no direct risk of stroke with PICC.

This is because the blood supply to brain (and rest of body) comes from the left side of heart.

The complications with PICC include a risk of infection, and thrombosis in the veins.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist