• question-icon

Can a patient with dilated fallopian tube conceive naturally?

Posted on Sat, 28 May 2016 in Infertility Problem
Question: I am 29 yrs old. Hysterosalpingography was done under fluoroscopic control.
Skiagrams shows normal uterus. There is dilation of lateral end of right fallopian tube. No peritonial spill on both sides.
please tell me can i get pregnant and if not what is the treatment and what are the chances?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy is still possible.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Since the fallopian tubes are supposed to open into the peritoneum, spillage of the XXXXXXX would indicate that the tubes (or the tube on respective side) are patent. Absence of spillage therefore does not confirm if the tubes are patent (it does not mean that they are blocked). Hence your gynecologist will have to look deeper and evaluate if he/she really thinks that the tubes are blocked.

Let me assure that even if the tubes are found to be blocked, pregnancy can be induced. If your ovulation is proper, follicles can be stimulated and the ovum can be drawn out. Thereafter in vitro fertilization (IVF) can be done by leaving the sperms with the ovum in a test tube. The embyo can be implanted back in your uterus thereafter and pregnancy can continue normally thereafter. The chance of getting pregnant in this manner is significant but can be expensive.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 15 minutes later
i forgot to mention, there was something more written in my report at last in bold letters, which goes as under
IMPRESSION : RIGHT SIDED MILD HYDROSALPINX WITH BILATERAL TUBAL BLOCKAGE.
Kindly comment.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Assisted methods of reproduction should help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the information. I had already accounted for this possibility while writing my answer. If tubal blockage is present, you can still go for assisted methods of reproduction (like IVF).

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 10 minutes later
Isn't this tubal blockage curable? I am asking this because my gynaecologist is still insisting to carry on medicines viz. Fertibless tab & Mc FOL-HF capsules, can these help me anyway?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tubal block can be relieved

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

There are procedures to open up blocked tubes. The following links should help:
http://www.YYYYY.com/infertility-and-reproduction/fallopian-tube-procedures-for-infertility
http://www.YYYYY.com/what-we-treat/infertility/blocked-fallopian-tubes/

I am not sure about the contents of Fertibless tablet but you need to continue taking Mc FOL-HF capsules. They will not help in opening the block but still need to be taken when you are in the process of trying to conceive.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha