Can a partial thyroid still provide sufficient hormones?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: MY WIFE HAD THYROID CANCER ABOUT 10 YRS AGO. HER SISTER SAID THEY REMOVED THE THYROID GLAND, BUT SHE TAKES NO MEDS FOR THYROID. WOULD THEY HAVE TAKEN OUT ALL OF THR THYROID OR JUST A PORTION OF IT? WOULD A PARTIAL THYROID PROVIDE ALL OF THE HARMONES,ETC NEEDED FOR THE BODY? COULD A LACK OF THESE HARMONES CAUSE PARKINSONS LIKE SYMPTHOMS? THANK YOU
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
about hypothyroidism;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I can understand your concern regarding to your wife 's health.
The fact that she does not take levothyroxine suggests for sure that the thyroid gland is not removed totally. Yes a lobe can compensate the function of the whole gland.
But, to say that a lobe can compensate the function of gland she needs to check the thyroid hormones (TSH, Ft4 and Ft3).
If they suggest for hypothyroidism than symptoms like; fatigue, weight gain, feeling sleepy, slow movements , constipation, low heart rate ect. can be expected. Usually they improve within 1 minths after starting treatment with levothyroxine.
Slow movements can be seen in Parkinson disease too.
Hope the information will be helpful.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T