Can a pap smear test detect sexually transmitted disease?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Does a Pap smear tell if a women has an std, like gonnorhea, chlamydia or trichomonaisis. I had a sexual encounter with a woman three times over the course three months. Unprotected sex as well. I got tested for gonorrhea and chlamydia 3 1/2 weeks after our last encounter test came back negative. Four days after our last encounter I had unprotected sex with my wife the next day I noticed some red irritated foreskin just below the head of my penis. Went to Dr. she said it was yeast infection, basically because my wife had one recently. Now the meatus at the tip of my penis is irritated at the urethra opening, when the tip rubs against my underwear it drives me crazy. I even had a routine urinalysis and urine culture done everything came back normal. Yesterday I talked to the girl that I have the sexual encounters with and she told me she think she's clean she just had a Pap smear three weeks ago and said it came back normal. Is a pap a good enough test and will it find this stuff? Oh my penis glans r inflammed or tingling numbing sensation once in awhile too. I found that after drinking a bunch of beer the nite before, the next day the head of my penis feels inflamed. Help me please
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pap smear detects cancer cervix, not STD

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

When your urine investigations result came as negative it ruled out Gonorrhea and Chlamydia.
Pap smear is the investigation to detect only Carcinoma Cervix in its early stage, nothing else or STDs can not be identified from that test.
As your Doctor told, the symptoms described by you fits with yeast infection. It may be either from your wife or from that unknown girl. It can be diagnosed by examination and investigation and can be treated easily with appropriate anti-fungal antibiotics. If you have Diabetes it should be controlled. ParTners also to be treated simultaneously.
Follow the guidelines of your doctor.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Would a routine urinalysis and urine culture show anything sexually transmitted in myself.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Normal urine analysis ruleout STD,nonSTD infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Routine urine analysis and urine culture will reveal the presence of an 'infection' in the urinary tract or urethra. That infection may be a STD or non STD infection. Special test for culture for gonorrhea or a smear test will reveal the presence of Gonorrhea.For Chlamydia we need special blood test. But a routine urine examination may give a clue for the presence of infection and the normal urine analysis rules out Gonorrhea and Chlamydia.
I hope that you get the details.
Dr S XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 47 hours later
I contacted the girl who I had sex with and she was a little upset that I even asked if there was a chance I could have got an infection from her. She says she is clean. The lotriderm the dr gave me isn't doing anything else to the redness on my foreskin just below my corona. Today it's dry red and shiny. I have some lamisil from my athletes foot which I have had a lot of. Would it be safe to put that cream on my penis
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
As Lotriderm not effective yeast unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
It is natural for anybody to get offended when somebody asked about their HIV status or about their cleanliness.
Lotriderm cream is given for yeast infection. If it has no action over your present condition, then Lamisil would also not useful as it is also indicated for fungal infection.
The redness may even be due to some irritation to soaps or antiseptic applications.
If send some pictures I may be able to discuss more.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 32 minutes later
I sent u some pics. Two pictures show redness below my corona and one shows where my meatus has been irritated at the opening
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not received the photographs

Detailed Answer:
Not received the photographs. Kindly upload once again.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Brief Answer:
Possibility of genital Lichen Planus or Psoriasis.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

I saw the pictures sent by you.

It neither fits with yeast infection nor with STD.
The possibilities:
1. Due to some topical application and the irritation due to the same.
2. It may be due to non STD skin conditions like Lichen planus or genital psoriasis.
3. Meatal lesion looks like a rare condition called as Balanitis Xerotica Obliterans. Biopsy will prove the same.
Dry shiny plaque like lesions with redness surrounding the lesion are possible with genital Lichen Planus.
Consult your dermatologist. He will examine and come to the correct diagnosis and treat you accordingly
Dr S.Murugan