Can a non growing mole be cancerous?

Dr. Johny Chacko

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: yesterday i had an appointment with my dermatologist he removed three moles that he didn't like and neither did I . these were actually moles that i used your service to evaluate their appearance via high resolution pictures. My dermatologist told me they weren't cancerous based on their appearance but wanted them removed as they probably didn't fit thebapperance of my other moles. I've attached the pictures of the ones he removed. do you agree with his visual assessment of being atypical/displastic moles and definitely not melanoma? he has sent them to be biopsied to see what degree of atypism they are. it Still makes me anxious that there is a possibility they could be cancerous melanoma. would a dermatologist tell me they werent cancerous if thought there was a possibility that they could be? these moles have been stable and have been on me for a long time and less than 6mm. please review the attached pictures. thank you for your time
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
? Dysplastic nevus

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you are concerned about few moles on your body.

I have seen the pictures that you have attached.

While the mole in the image titled mole43 does not seem atypical, I am of the opinion that the moles in the other 2 pictures do have certain changes which would have probably have made your dermatologist perform a biopsy. They have colour changes ( darker and lighter shades in the same lesion) and size appears more than 6 mm. This looks atypical but does not look malignant.

I do not want to create panic or anxiety. But as a doctor, I do want to give you my honest opinion. I hope you understand the same.

Let us await the biopsy report and hope for the best.

Dr. Johny Chacko
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Johny Chacko 26 minutes later
when you mentioned mole picture labled 43 not being atypical do you mean that its looks normal or possibly malignant. just looking for clarification.
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It looks normal

Detailed Answer:

Do not worry. It looks normal. It does not look malignant.

Dr. Johny Chacko
Follow up: Dr. Johny Chacko 11 minutes later
thank you. you've actually put my mind at ease. we knew the other two were atypical but not sure as to what degree. my dermatologist made sure to tell me that it easy cancerous. I assume since this is what you dermatologists do for a living you can spot these things a mile away. I appreciate your quick replys back
disregard the above statement, I meant:
thank you. you've actually put my mind at ease. we knew the other two were atypical but not sure as to what degree. my dermatologist made sure to tell me other 2 moles werent cancerous. I assume since this is what you dermatologists do for a living you can spot these things a mile away. I appreciate your quick replys back
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:

Greetings!

Do not worry. Let us hope for the best.

Do let me know about the biopsy results if possible.

Dr. Johny Chacko
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju