Can a needle fragment adjacent to cardal sacrum cause pain in the rectal area?

Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: can a needle fragment 12mm adjacent to the cardal sacrum anteriorly on the right cause pain in the rectal area
local doctors say no, rectom has been removed for many years because of colitus
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes it can

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

If the needle fragment is pressing upon the nerve which used to supply the rectum (the nerves supplying the rectum are all located anterior to the sacrum only) then you may feel as if pain is arising in the rectum, though it may have already been removed.

This is known as "Phantom" pain, as is commonly seen after limb amputation, when the nerve supplying the amputed part gets irritated due to any reason.

So, get the needle removed, if feasible. By the way, how did a needle fragment ended up there?

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj