Can a mole change appearance during pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Can a mole change appearance during pregnancy? I have a mole on my belly, near my belly button, that I have had for as long as I can remember. This is my second pregnancy, and it has now developed two stretch marks side by side underneath it! It previously was smaller than a pencil eraser but now seems stretched out due to the stretch marks. It is brown in color but the pigment also looks "stretched out" and kind of splotchy (darker in places but still brown). further complicating this is the fact that I have OCD and picked at the mole as well. It healed absolutely fine but looks a bit different now - is it possible for the appearance of a mole to change after it is picked at/irritated and then heals?
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is normal for a mole to increase in size,darken

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it.

During pregnancy, moles can get darker and larger, particularly on the belly and breasts. These benign changes are usually symmetric. However, any asymmetric change in size, shape or colour should be examined by a dermatologist.

Scratching a mole can change the appearance a little, and that's what you're describing. It does not transform it into cancer.