Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Can a lump be caused by muscle strain in the neck?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2347 Questions
can muscle strain and tightness in the left side of my neck cause a small lump?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 16 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Neck sprain and stiffness cannot induce a small lump. In rare cases whenever there is tear of the muscles due to sudden strain it can form a lump but it would be really painful and most seen in the weight bearing areas.

I feel the lump you are noticing in the neck could be a lymph node (gland) which has appeared due to some infection around the site of lump. Accidentally, you might have noticed the lump during the strain and it is a mere coincidence.

No need to worry, this could be a cervical lymph node which is harmless and lymph node act like policemen of our body, indicating an ongoing infection in the surrounding area.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor