Can a liquid facelift cause staph infection?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Infections
Question: I'd like to know if you can get a staff infection from a liquid facelift
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes it is possible

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
In liquid facelifts, typically a filler substance is injected to fill out the skin areas.
Any kind of product or procedure done to your face can cause an infection if there are infectious agents in the products used. If any instruments or other objects used are not sterile then a skin infection may result. In addition if the skin is not cleaned properly before the injections are done, an infection may result.
If you have an underlying immune deficiency or if the skin is damaged in any way before the procedure this makes it more likely that you will get an infection.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 44 hours later
I have concerns about how I was infected by this severe staff infection. I have my sons medical history here. I decided to look thru it he has had ringworm impetigo among many other infections. He also suffers from athletes foot he sometimes gets these boils on his body from shaving it. He had a boil on his neck a few months ago. I put some cream on it with warm packs. It was around the same time I had my liquid facelift. Although I had already began to see problems with the facelift by having these white things that looked like cream coming out of my face. They then began to look like small white string less creamy as time went on. I felt that the 4 thousand dollars I spent was actually coming out day by day. It then began to move to other parts of my body and my head. It took about 2 weeks before moving to other areas of my body.

I was told by the dermatoligist that the infection is severe that I might have had it for a long time. If that's true then why would I not show signs before of having this in my system. If it's true and I did have it then why when my son was diagnosed with having Impetigo were we not warned of the danger of the rest of the family contacting the infection. My husband had liver damage and was waiting for a liver transplant at the time. He since died just months later of liver failure. He was hospitalized in-between with problems according to the doctors it was his liver. Maybe if they looked into it he might have been infected also. Maybe he carried it to us we don't really know how it happened ,we had insurance we were all seen by the same XXXXXXX plan we did mention to each others doctors when we had something that the rest of the family could be affected by but they did nothing when told about it. I'v always said that doctors are not the same some finish at the top of their class others pass by the skin of their teeth. All of this has become over whelming for me it's now 8 years later. God only knows how long this has gone on for. They say this type of infection goes undetected for a long time. I am now 62 and very ill always feeling fatigue having many other XXXXXXX issues that ultimately could somehow be related to a family infected by this potentially dangerous killer all these years. Where does it all begin and end? How can this be addressed and how do I tell my family I have three sons that lived in my home. Do they need to be checked for this?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
some thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
I am very sorry that you are so sick and have all these concerns. The problem is that some Staphylococcus infections have become resistant to antibiotics. The MRSA (methicillin resistant staph aureus) is an example. This is now so common that we just assume that if someone has a Staph infection that it is a resistant form. Unfortunately these infections can be dormant in our systems for years, we do not become sick, and so we do not know that we are a carrier of these bacteria. We know that all of us have bacteria in our systems all the time, but usually they do not make us sick. Why someone carrying a resistant bacteria all of a sudden gets sick, we do not know for sure. We think that it happens when the immune system is weakened in some way, perhaps by some other type of sickness or a viral infection that weakens the body and allows the infection.
The fact is that your sons may be carriers of a resistant staph infection but the risk of them getting infected is small in healthy carriers.
The best ways to prevent infections are hand washing and avoiding being around people that are coughing and sneezing. Unfortunately there is not much else that the doctors could have told you to avoid this infection.
Here is some information you can read about a common form of resistant staph.

https://www.uptodate.com/contents/methicillin-resistant-staphylococcus-aureus-mrsa-the-basics?source=see_link

I hope you are able to recover and that your children remain healthy.
Dr Robinson