Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

Can a large piece of Taco remain stuck in throat causing acute pain ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 243 Questions
about 2 hours ago i took to large of a bite of a taco. It felt like it got stuck. I have drank about 120 oz of water and i'm still in a lot of pain. I'm wondering if I should go to the hospital
Fri, 4 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 33 minutes later
Hi Mary!,
Thanks for your query.

If you have chewed your Taco well, there is no chance that it would get stuck. Only the ulcer / sore causes the foreign body sensation and the pain you are feeling may be because of the friction caused by the hard Taco.

Hard Foreign Bodies cause scraping to the tender mucous membrane of the mouth, pharynx & esophagus causing ulcer / sore. This leads to severe pain and feeling that something has got stuck.
You may use BENZOCAINE 20% solution for gargling. If it is not available you may do plain water gargling. Kindly see that water is not hot as this may increase the pain.

Do not eat anything hot or spicy for a week.

If the sensation persists after gargling 5-6 times you may have go to a hospital.

I shall await the news of your recovery in follow-up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor