• question-icon

Can a kidney transplant decrease one's life expectancy?

Posted on Tue, 21 Nov 2017 in Kidney Conditions
Question: When an otherwise 50 year old man with kidney disease undergoes a kidney transplant after 3-4 months on dialysis, is his life expectancy decreased? If so, what are the factors in determining the shortened life expectancy and how much is it decreased? Thankhttp://www.healthcaremagic.com/ you!
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Multiple factors contributory

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. When anybody undergoes a kidney transplant, there is an inherent possibility of graft rejection and immune reaction. This therefore exposes the person for uncalled morbidity which can bring down the life expectancy. But the reaction or rejection varies upon the degree of HLA match. Furthermore, in order to suppress such a reaction, immunosuppressive therapy needs to be given. But this too predisposes to various other threats which can bring down the life expectation. Since a lot of variables are involved, it is not possible to quantify how much shortening of life expectancy has occurred. This however does not keep in consideration the prolongation of the life expectancy brought about by the transplant (you would have lived lot less had you not received the transplant). So, this entire issue of life expectancy in this specific scenario is rather pointless.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha