• question-icon

Can a hemoglobin A1c test reflect actual hemoglobin levels in blood?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my father had bleeding ulcers.his hemaglobin dropped to 3.5 , He recieved a transfusion, the doctor stopped the bleeding. We are now home and want to monitor Hemaglobin levels. Will an A1C monitor help. Can you determine Hemaglobin levels from your Glycemic level
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

I am glad the doctors found the source of his bleeding. Since the bleeding is stopped his hemoglobin level will gradually rising overtime. It will probably take several weeks to get back closer to normal.

Glycemic level does not correlate with actual hemoglobin level so checking hemoglobin A1C well actually not be helpful.

The only way to actually monitor the hemoglobin level would be to have a laboratory blood draw to specifically check this level.

As long as he is feeling well and progressively better but hemoglobin level can be monitored periodically with his primary care physician.

Thank you again for sending the question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist