Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Can a full body scan detect cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Oncologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 59 Questions
The full body scan after the XXXXXXX will it detect if there is any cancer in your body? Not just thyroid.
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. K. Harish 1 hour later
Brief Answer: NO Detailed Answer: Assuming that this radio iodine scan is done after removal of the whole thyroid gland, it can detect only areas of cancer spread which take up radio iodine. That means only those areas of thyroid cancer spread are detected. Again, those areas which do not take up radio iodine (like less differentiated varieties of thyroid cancer) are not picked up. Radioactive Iodine scan: In an intact thyroid, these scans DO NOT pick up metastasis (areas of spread) In a patient who has undergone total removal of thyroid gland, it picks up areas of spread as described above Radio iodine scan is limited for some varieties of thyroid cancer only (papillary and follicular cancers). Hence, these scans are not meant for other varieties of thyroid cancer and for other cancers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor