question-icon

Can a flu vaccine affect the results of a rapid HIV test?

Posted on Wed, 9 Dec 2015
Question: can influenza shot cause false positive rapid hiv test
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan (43 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes it can

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Influenza virus itself or the vaccine used for it in flu both can give a false positive rapid HIV test and should be confirmed by more specific tests like 4th generation HIV tests or western blots.

Talk to an infectious disease specialist and let them help you in this regard. But as far as your query is concerned, flu can give a false positive test of rapid HIV testing.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan