Can a dental bridge be placed immediately after tooth extraction?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 7 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Hello I just had the extraction of an impacted tooth 9 (yesterday) and a bome graft placed for a dental implant in the future. Prior to the appointment with the surgeon I had a partial denture made by my dentist. I belive the surgeon cut off part of the partial in order to prevent damage to the surgery site, but it does not look good and is quite emberssaing. My question is how soon will I be able to have my dentist make another temporary tooth?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please clarify.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

As you have written that you have got the extraction of impacted tooth 9, so am I understanding it correct that it tooth number 9 that is upper front tooth or the maxillary central incisor?
Please study so that I can guide you appropriately..

Please revert back with answer..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 16 minutes later
That is correct it is the maxillary central incisor. It was the one on my left your right if you were looking at me head on. Also not sure if it matters but it was not completely impacted it just never fully came through because of a childhood accident.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wait for at least 10 days.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
You should wait for at least a week to 10 days before you get a temporary tooth so that the extraction site heals well and does not get traumatised..

Hope this helps..

Regards..
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 53 minutes later
Would a bridge be considered a potential temporary option while I wait for the final implant amd crowns? My specific case would take over a year so I would really prefer to have something else instead of a partial denture.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bridge can be an option.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
If you do not want removable partial denture then bridge placement can be an appropriate option..

But you need to maintain a proper oral hygiene to avoid any Infection..

Hope this helps..

Regards..
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 11 minutes later
And this is while still plannin ln getting implants later ln correct?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You will have to get the bridge removed..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
You will have to get the bridge removed before you will get the implant placement process initiated..
But this has a side effect that the teeth used as support teeth in bridge will have to be covered with crowns once the bridge will be removed..
So it is a drawback of bridge placement and removal in your case..

Please write back for more queries..

Regards..