Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Can a certified MD order a TPPA confirmatory syphilis test that has turned up negative?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 254 Questions
Can a certified MD in very good standing order an FTA ABS or a TPPA confirmatory syphilis test from a large reputable lab in conjunction with an RPR test that has turned up negative. This is for what would have been a sexual contact over 40 years ago. I have been totally sexually monogamous with my wife since then. My information is that the lab will not perform the confirmatory test UNLESS the RPR screening test is positive. I was told that an RPR screening test very well may show a false negative after 40 years but the above mentioned confirmatory tests ( without any treatment for syphilis) are accurate for life regardless of the intervening time period. I want to have a confirmatory test done to put my mind at ease. I am very worried as of now. If the lab can over ride a doctors order.then in my opinion this is the perfect case of the tail wagging the dog. I understand that the test is expensive but that is not a problem for me. If you know of any way I can have this confirmatory test performed regardless of the result of a negative RPR please let me know. If I know I can have this test performed it would GREATLY help me. I could relax again.
Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 12 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

I read your problem. Any doctor can ask for some test on the basis of clinical suspicion. If the laboratory refuses to do the test it is purely a local problem and the concerned doctor has to convince the lab or find some other lab.

Doing the test in another country is difficult as it involves restriction in transporting blood samples. Hence I am helpless in this regard. RPR (Rapid Plasma Reagin) may show both false positive and false negative results. RPR is only a non specific test for syphilis. However, if they do VDRL (Venereal Disease Research Laboratory) test that may be more useful.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Prasad PVS
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor