Can a bump from the car on an ankle bone cause major injury?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was getting into my car last night and I bumped my ankle bone slightly on the bottom of
the car. It doesn't seem to be swollen and I have no sharp pain but this morning I was lying
down and I had some throbbing in that area. I am up now and sitting down and there seems to
be no throbbing. Do you think I injured my ankle and if so what can I do about it.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no significant injury

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

I an sorry to hear that you injured yourself last night. This morning before getting up the ankle had some throbbing. This was probably due to minor contusion of the area and increased pressure from that contusion. Once you got up and walked around the throbbing has stopped. This si due to improved circulation and reduced that extra pressure. This is nothing to be concerned about and will get better with time. Over the next 2 days you may notice some bruising down in the foot. This is to be expected as the blood from your contusion works its way down your foot.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions