Can a brownish lesion on the foot sole be cancerous

Dermatologist
Question
This is a pic of my brothers bottom right foot. He is worried about that spot being maybe cancer or something else. He wants the peace of mind hearing what it is from a physician, and knowimg what it is. His backround info is... 37 yo white/hispanic male, 6'4 roughly 215lbs, overall very healthy except high BP, only allergy is to PCN. Currently taking amlodipene 5mg daily for high BP. No other health issues except mild anxiety, no meds taken for that.
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Compound or junctional nevus

Detailed Answer:

I saw photo of right sole of your brother, there is a small flat brownish black lesion. I feel it is a type of nevocytic nevus...called junctional nevus.

A junctional nevus, sometimes called a mole, is a type of benign, or non-cancerous, skin growth. It is typically dark brown, flattish and rounded in appearance. The cells that form these growths are situated around the junction between the epidermis, or outer layer, and the dermis below. That is why it is called junctional nevus.

Although junctional nevi are not cancerous in themselves, it is important to notice any changes in their appearance, because there is a small risk that they can transform into a type of skin cancer known as a malignant melanoma.

The junctional nevus might progress to compound nevus in which the lesion become slightly elevated. But it is also benign condition.

Tell your brother to see the lesion frequently to see the changes in the lesion..like,
-Enlargement.
-Change in shape or size.
-Change in pigmentation.
-Itchiness/pain/irritation.
-Bleeding.

So,if there is a diagnosis of junctional or compound naevus and there has been no change in a long-standing lesion, then reassurance and monitoring of the lesion are all that is usually required.

Excision biopsy may be advised whenever the lesion has:
-Grown.
-Become symptomatic.
-Developed asymmetry.
-Developed an irregular border.
-Altered its degree or pattern of pigmentation.
-Developed satellite lesions.

I hope you might be satisfied with my answer..still any query..you may ask. You may consult dermatologist personally,so that real ideas you can get.

Ok..

Well wshes..

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD