Can a broken nose cause dizziness and nausea?

Dr. Prasad Akole

Posted on Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Can a broken nose cause dizziness and nausea XXXXXXX 6/12 elbow to nose. Played sports for 8 days then flu like symptoms .rested for one month . Played sports for 3 months then headaches ,nausea. Stopped for 3 months played volleyball. Did good as long as he didn't overdue it. Exhausted after a weekend of sports 2-3 days to recover. XXXXXXX 9/13 hit side of the head stop playing for 5 weeks. Play one weekend 10 days later flu symptoms
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 27 minutes later
Dear friend,

Welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at XXXXXXX

I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole) and am glad to address to your query here.

The injuries and the course of events are suggestive of some subtle traumatic brain injury. It can cause nausea, headache and dizziness. If base of skull is fractured along with nasal bone injury.
Was there any clear fluid (cerebrospinal fluid) leaking out of the nose any time or intermittently?
This can predispose to meningitis (infection of brain coverings).
These are the best guesses I can make from the description. To be more precise, I would need to know if any CT scan of the head and PNS (para nasal sinuses) were performed following the injury or symptoms.
Did he have fever when you meant flu-like illness?
Please upload any old reports, scans here using the uploading service available on this site just below the text box. You can email the reports / scans to
YYYY@YYYY
with subject as ‘Attn: Dr. Prasad Akole’.
If suggested, he may need a neuro-opinion.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries.

Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this answer.

Thank you!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Prasad Akole 1 hour later
he had a MRI of the head also neck c1-c2 vertabra were out they are back in place.
that was nov 2012. They told us all was good with the MRI
no fever with the flu-like illness.
NO CT scan done.
Can there be something out of place from the elbow that broke his nose.That can cause some of the dizzyness and tiredness.
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 8 hours later
Thanks for the info.
I gather that there was dislocation of C1-C2 vertebrae, which were reduced. He has not been reviewed by a physician/ neurologist since then?
I do not find a mention of any fluid coming from the nose. I assume it is not. I do not understand what you meant by the ‘elbow in the nose’?

His repeated symptoms could be due to neck vertebral trauma and consequent injury to the vertebral arteries supplying the hindbrain.

Less blood supply to the hind and small brain (posterior circulation) can cause all the symptoms he has. It could get serious if present.

He should immediately stop playing any sports, avoid any strain to the neck/ body.
I advise him to be evaluated in detail by a good neurologist/ neurosurgeon, in the light of older MRI findings and look for any fracture/ dislocation and posterior circulation ischemia. He may need a MR angiography for it if also suspected by the experts on examinations.

Do not neglect until it is evaluated. If this is ruled out, then it is safer. Flu like symptoms however does not fit in here.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this answer.

Good Luck! Thank you!!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Prasad Akole 12 hours later
no fluid from the nose.
elbow in the nose in a basketball game hit the nose and pushed it sideway broken nose.
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 1 hour later

Thanks for the clarification.

My advice remains the same.

Would like to know the progress.