Can a broken hymen be repaired?

Dr. Nidhi Setia

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I've been having sex for awhile, and I think my hymen was just stretching until recently, when it finally broke. Now I have noticed a tubular piece of skin hanging down and I'm pretty sure it's the broken hymen. It makes me feel uncomfortable and I want it gone. Will this go away on its own? If not, what are my options? In lots of boards online, the answers suggest that it's just enlarged labia that happen when you're aroused, but I know this isn't the case, as I'm familiar with my vagina and have had sex many times and this is completely new.
Answered by Dr. Nidhi Setia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
minor surgical procedure needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.
I understand your concerns.

You have experienced a piece of skin hanging out from hymen.

Problem with hanging hymen is the dryness of the skin which is caused by the exposure to air. This might also lead to itching or irritation of the skin due to increased dryness.

The condition is not treated by medicines or other alternative therapies. If the skin resists getting back inside in some time then only a small surgical procedure could make it go.

I would suggest you to consult your Gynecologist.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad