Can a bone spur grow back after surgery?

Dr. Rogers Nditanchou

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Can a bone spur in the heal that has already been surgically removed grow back? And after that type of surgery, why would my foot hurt on the outside and top even to where I can't tie my shoelace on that foot very tight?
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Orthopedic consultation, drugs, physiotherapy, sho

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I am afraid it shall be difficult for the bone to grow. A small increase in size would be expected in case of very small children.

A clinical evaluation of the foot, preferable by an orthopedic surgeon could be very helpful. Some abnormal healing (bumps) could be managed, or use of specific drugs could help in alleviating symptoms. Systemic and topical steroids are generally used under such circumstances.

Specific shoe types, adapted to the feet could be advised in such cases, reason why orthopedic advice is most needed. High shoes and tight fitting shoes should be avoided. There are special manvoures and adapted shoe types that can be offered to fit your specific foot shape and size. Physiotherapy at times could be useful.

The follow up and way forward are purely dependent on the findings of a well done physical examination by your orthopedist. I strongly recommend you consult one.

Please, feel free asking follow up questions in case you got any specific concerns. Wishing you the best of health and kind regards.

Dr Rogers

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T