Can a baby have positive blood group while parents have negative?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Genetics
Question: if both parents have negitive blood type, and the first two children have negitive blood type, what are the chances of the third child have positive blood type?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

It actually depends on what you call negative blood type. I presume you mean both parents are Rhesus Negative. If both parents are Rhesus negative, their children shall always be rhesus negative. There is no chance of them having a rhesus positive child.

But it shall be appropriate for their children, especially the female children to always signal that they are rhesus negative. This is because, in case they get married to rhesus positive husbands, if appropriate precautions are not taken, their children, especially during the second pregnancies might be affected if appropriate medical measures are not considered.

Also, always tell your physician, because this could be important, if any of them, rhesus negative individuals have ever been exposed to rhesus positive blood blood.

As far as the chances of having a rhesus positive child if they are both rhesus negative, its impracticable.

Thanks,
Nsah, MD.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E