question-icon

Can a baby get frequent diarrhea through breast milk when the mother has an upset stomach?

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2019
Question: My baby boy is 9.5 months old. Couple of days back I was suffering from stomach upset and mild fever which got better on its own. But Since yesterday morning, my baby is also having loose motions (watery). He usually passes stool like 4-5 times in a day but now he is passing almost 8-10 times watery stools. He appears happy otherwise and taking his meals and feeds although in a lesser quantity. Did he receive the infection from me as he is still breastfed ? can we give him some Diarrhoea medicine ? We are making sure that he is having enough fluids so that he does not get dehydrated. Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (48 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Proper hydration is important

Detailed Answer:

Let me assure you that it is normal for a baby of this age to pass stool several times a day or even after each feed. Alternatively the child may pass stool once in 10 days and that is normal too. Unless the stool is hard and pellet like, you need not grow concerned.

Even if I assume that the child got it from you, the cause does not need to be treated and is self limiting. However, the lost water and salts need to be replenished. ORS (oral rehydration solution) is the mainstay of treatment and needs to be given. If the child is otherwise active and playful you need not worry.

Also, give curd or yogurt since it contains plenty of beneficial bacteria and should help. Give zinc supplements like Zinconia Syrup once daily for the next 10 days.

You need not worry. It should gradually return back to normal.
If the child is passing urine 4-6 times or more per 24 hours, nothing needs to be done and you need not get concerned.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have further queries.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Pediatrician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das (32 minutes later)
Thanks for your quick response doctor. Can we get the general ORS available in the market or is there any special one available for babies of this age ? And we are also supplementing with formula along with breastfeed, can we continue that ?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (52 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Can be given

Detailed Answer:

Yes, general / adult ORS (bigger sachet to be mixed in 1 liter water) can be given. Pediatric ORS (smaller sachet to be mixed in a glass of water) is basically the same thing in smaller packaging. Continue breast feed. Avoid external formula at present. Rice based diet preferred.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Pediatrician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatric Neurologist