Can a PCR test rule out HIV?

Dr. Arun

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I took a rna pcr quantitative test on 11th day and did a p24 antigen combo test on the same day. Bith cam negative. I had a protected vaginal sex and few seconds of unprotected oral sex. Can I relax now?

forgot to mention that it was a real time PCR test and it was from dr lal path labs. How reliable is it?
Answered by Dr. Arun 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are HIV non reactive....

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxxx,

Thank you for posting your health query to HCM platform.

I am Dr Arun Tank infectious diseases specialist answering your concern

protected vaginal sex and unprotected oral sex both have nil value in causation of HIV.

furthermore your both tests are non reactive.

so from above point we can say that you are HIV non reactive person, you can allay the fear for same.

You can ask me your further concerns here.

Thank you
Dr Arun Tank
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Arun 4 hours later
Thanks Doc.

How reliable is the pcr rna quantitative report at 10 days post exposure.
Answered by Dr. Arun 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's good test to rely upon...

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking query dear,

PCR is the most reliable tests among all the available tests for HIV.

It is reliable after 7 days of exposure.

you can ask me for further confirmation here.

Thank you.

Dr Arun Tank.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad