Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Can a CT reveal a hernia or a weakened structure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 1823 Questions
Can a CT reveal a hernia or a weakened structure? I had a CT scan in March for abdominal and bowel issues which was diagnosed as an acute diverticulosis attack. It also showed a marked thickening in the sigmoid wall. A follow up colonoscopy is scheduled in two weeks to rule out neoplasm. Mother died of colon cancer. Anyway I am having more BM then I use to but they are for the most part normal so I doubt there is cancer but I do have some discomfort on the left lower side so could it be the starting of a hernia and will a colonoscopy or CT scan see it.
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

A simple clinical examination is enough to diagnose hernia.
A CT scan may show hernia. But colonoscopy will not show any hernia.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor