• question-icon

Can a 47 year old woman with irregular menstruation conceive?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Women's Health
Question: My menstrual period some times stays two months before coming, sometimes three months as am here now I saw it twice in December 10th for two days and December 16th for four days with heavy flow but my husband is not in the state. I visited him March last year up till now I have not had any form of sex but I thank God he will be joining me here in the state this year my question is this I am 47 last month if he eventually come will I be able to give him child or children? .I have children from my first marriage this is my second marriage . What can I do to get my self prepared for the pregnancy to come?. Secondly my left arm has been paining me for more than 4 months now I have done an x ray and nothing is found I have taken some strong pain killer but nothing is working am still in pain what can I do? please do not show my full name any where instead show it as T only thanks.
Answered by Dr. Zenab Tambawala 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get AMH levels

Detailed Answer:
Dear T,
Welcome to HCM,

You have two concerns, the first being regarding your period and fertility. At 47 years if your periods are not very regular there is a good chance that you are not ovulating. That means the egg which has to be released every cycle from the ovary may not be happening .

I would advise you to do a blood test called AMH levels to know the state of the ovaries and this would give us an indication to the likelihood of you getting pregnant.

You should start taking Folic acid while trying to conceive. But do get the AMH levels done to know the chances.

If you are having a constant left arm pain, it could be due to a muscle pull or ligament injury, you need to be examined by a orthopedician to know the reason. If pain killers are not working it is better not to neglect and see orthopedic immediately.

And I would also advise you to get an ECG done, as very rarely heart problem could present as pain in left arm, better to rule out the same.

Hope this helps.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Zenab Tambawala 3 days later
Where can i do the AMH exams? yes my period and fatality are my main concern right now . I want to prepare my self in case my husband gets here so it will be easy for me to get pregnant.yesterday i went to see a doctor concerning my arm and he gave me some pain medicine the pain is almost gone i thank God In October last year i did a blood work and the doctor said that i can have eight children that every thing is fine with me, the group of doctors pronounced me healthy. I haven't had sex since one year because am waiting for my husband.
What type of text is AMH and how does that affect women.

I am also using prenatal vitamine
Answered by Dr. Zenab Tambawala 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
AMH is a simple blood test

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,

AMH stands for Anti Mullerian hormone it is a blood test, which can be done to tell us the capacity of the ovary to produce healthy eggs. It is done in any laboratory and you need not be fasting for it. Also its value does not change with relation to your period so you can get it done anytime during your cycle.

It indicates the number and potential or the eggs in the ovary to have children.
It is recommended to be done in all women above the age of 37 years who are planning to conceive.

Yes, its good that you are taking prenatal vitamin, make sure it has 5 mg Folic acid in it.

Hope this helps.
Regards.

Dr. Zenab Tambawala

OBGYN