Can a 4 month old baby be given ghee?

General Surgeon
Question
Hi, my friend's daughter is four and half months baby girl. The doctor has suggested to give her cows ghee mixed in dal or messed apple. Is this okay to give ghee to baby at this age? Please suggest
Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
not needed

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

Upto 6 months exclusively breast feeding need to be given. After that only other feeds may be started .

Babies require water apart from breast feeding for first 6 months only if they have diarrhoea or water loss. In a healthy baby they won't need extra water also .

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil

Follow-up: Can a 4 month old baby be given ghee? 12 hours later
Hi, thanks for your response. But my friend is a cabin crew and she has to join in couple of weeks to the job. So the baby will require external feed. That's why the question was what can be fed. Another doctor suggested to give cows ghee along with apple food or dal, so please let me know if ghee can be given to four and half years baby

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can be given in small quantities

Detailed Answer:

Yes cows ghee can be given. Start in small quantities as depending upon the baby's tolerance. Slowly increse the quantity as much as the baby tolerates.

Hope I have been helpful.

Dr.Deepika Patil