Can Zopiclone be taken instead of benzodiazepines?

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: can i safely use zopiclone if I'm allergic to benzodiazepines? Seeing as they are quite similar I'm hesitant to take it although I haven't slept for 36 hours.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There should not be problems

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM.

Zopiclone is a nonbenzodiazepine hypnotic medications and it may have similar effect to benzodiazepines but its molecular structure is different and it should not cause allergy in people who are allergic to BDs. Allergy may occur but then it would be new allergy not related to your previous allergies. So you can take it in recommended dosage and just watch for signs of reaction if occur. But I said, this risk is very low. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 20 minutes later
Ok thank you! Seeing as my reaction to benzo is opposite of what it is supposed to do, meaning I get agitated not relaxed, will zopiclone have a similar effect in that sense? Disregarding the allergy I mean.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not necessarily

Detailed Answer:
it affects some other brain receptors so it probably wont have same effect as BDs. also, it is individual and it is hard to predict effect in each men. Only way to do this is to try it.
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon